Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Awkward Nate

There is a guy on my floor who my roommate and I refer to as Awkward Nate. We call him that because he's awkward and his name is Nate. We're creative like that. The first encounter with Nate was when my roommate and I were watching The Office. This random guy walked through the open door and I didn't turn around because out of the corner of my eye, it appeared to be my roommate's friend Tyler. They're both tall so you can see how I would make this mistake. My roommate did turn around and didn't recognize him, but assumed that I must know him, because otherwise why would he just walk into our room like that? Being polite, my roommate introduced herself. She realized I didn't know Nate after I introduced myself. He said that he heard The Office and he loves that show and we said something about it being really funny but Hulu is taking forever to buffer. Then he left. My roommate and I began discussing how awkward that was, but at least he was gone. About five minutes later, he came back. My roommate and I exchanged annoyed glances. He sat on the floor and ate his pizza while watching The Office. He didn't even say anything at all. After he finished his pizza, he picked up my Rubik's Cube and started to mix it up without asking. It sounded like he knew what he was doing but after about three minutes, he stated that he forgot how to solve it and left, with my Rubik's Cube sitting there unsolved on my desk. I have OCD and I cannot stand to see an unsolved Rubik's Cube. I have to pick it up and solve it before I can even remotely concentrate on anything.  So I set down my ice cream, which had already started melting and solved my Rubik's Cube. About five minutes later, the episode ended and Nate came back. We informed him that the episode was over and he asked if we were going to watch another one. We explained that there weren't any more. That was the last one they've made so far. He asked if there were any other shows we liked to watch and we both came up with the excuse that we had to do homework. He started talking about some movie that he was going to watch and asked us if we've ever heard of it. We hadn't so he explained it to us. It sounded so completely ridiculously nerdy. Don't get me wrong, I am a huge nerd. I took a class on Science Fiction literature last year and I loved it. This sounded like the most generic science fiction movie ever made. What I got from the explanation was something about spaceships and aliens and basically no plot. We explained that we really needed to do homework and then after he left we shut the door.

We decided that we would keep the door shut to prevent Awkward Nate from popping in unannounced. Unfortunately, this plan didn't work out very well since our room becomes like a sauna during the day. It must be about 90 degrees most days, so we have to have the door open for a cross-breeze to make the temperature remotely bearable.  The other day, Harley and I were sitting on the bed watching Monty Python and the Holy Grail with the door open because of the ridiculous heat I just discussed. The movie had just ended and I exited to my desktop when Nate came in and said, "Oh sorry, I didn't realize...", looked awkwadly at us, mumbled something about seeing a cool picture, and then left. Harley asked me if I even knew that guy and then I told him all about him. He said that he's pretty creepy and I said that I definitely agree.

The final time Nate visited, I had just updated my blog and I was checking my E-mail. He stood in the doorway and stared at me for a little bit and I said "Hi?" in an attempt to diffuse the awkwardness of the situation. He misinterpreted this as an invitation to come in. He walked over to my desk and stared at my computer screen and asked what I was doing, to which I replied that I was checking my E-mail. He left. I closed the door and went on Facebook, and was extremely grateful that I hadn't been doing something interesting, because he probably would have stayed, and watched.

Fortunately, I haven't had any Awkward Nate visits for a few days. I got to hacky sack with H today and I attempted to invite him to go to laser tag with some of my friends and I on Saturday. I can get kind of tongue-tied when I talk to him sometimes. He said he'd never done laser tag before and I said that neither have I but it sounds like fun. He asked where it's at, and I said that I don't know and then another guy came up and started hacky sacking with us.

President Obama is coming to my school tomorrow! I don't get to see him, because I already missed one lab for my class because of my illness and I can only drop one lab, so I have to do all of the other ones. This is like a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity! One of my friends is going to tape his speech so I can see it, but that hardly compares with actually seeing the President. I'm not the biggest fan of him, but still, it's the President. Oh, it's at 12:00 so I could go, that is, if there weren't already over 3,000 people going and it being first come first served starting at 9:00.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Every time you comment, a kitten is born, and who doesn't love kittens?