Monday, May 20, 2013

Let's all Go to the Street Fair!

On Saturday I went to the University District Street Fair with my friend Kelsey.  It was super duper fun.  This is either the third or fourth year I've gone to it.  I've gone every year since I first got to Seattle.  This was the first year that I had money to spend on things.  Kelsey and went to the park to swing on the swings and to a pizza place before the street fair.  I'll tell you about the pizza place in a different post.  After we got pizza we went to the street fair and one of the first booths we saw was the henna tattoo booth.  I have wanted to get a henna tattoo at the street fair every single year, but didn't have money for it until this year, so I finally got one!  And I love it!

This photo is from the day I got it, when the paste was dried on.

This was from the next day when the paste was removed.
The lady took only a minute to do my henna tattoo. I asked her how long she's been doing them and she said 13 years.  She does them free-hand, without using a stencil.  It was only $12 and I had expected it to be around $20, so I was pleased.

Next to the henna tattoo booth was a booth selling monsters and I instantly fell in love with one of them.  I have some seriously awesome stuffed animals, including a Sonic the Hedgehog and a Yoshi, but they are all really small and not great for cuddling.  This monster was big and soft and adorable and only $10, so I bought it immediately.  Also, it was the only one made out of this super soft material, so it was basically fate.


There's a monster in my closet and I couldn't be happier :)
As you may have noticed, my bed is in my closet.  That's just what happens when I have very little space and a closet big enough to fit a bed in.  It's called maximizing space.

My third and final purchase of the day was at a booth with an overwhelming amount of bead strands and cool rocks.  I nearly bought a strand of quartz points but then I saw a box of big colorful smooth stones for $2 each, so I bought five of them.

Future awesome pendants (I'll edit this picture later so you can see the great colors but right now I'm just trying to post this stuff before I go to bed.)
Aside from that, there were a whole lot of amazing creative people including sculptors, jewelers, and artists.  And there was this.  I had to have my picture taken and Kelsey was less than into it but she was the Han Solo to my Chewbacca because that's what friends do.

I couldn't fit my face in properly because of my big hat.
And I also got business cards from all of the coolest booths, because their stuff was unique and wonderful and I have to share it on my blog sometime.  You guys, people are really cool.

And next week I'm going to Northwest Folklife Festival for the first time ever!  I'm excited because people hacky sack there and also because I'm hoping I'll be able to buy a hula hoop there.  Also, there was this guy performing at the street fair who is the best hack sacker I have seen in my entire life.  He can juggle two hacky sacks with one foot.  I put some money in his tip jar and then talked to him for a little bit.  Unfortunately he doesn't live around here or I would hacky sack with him sometime, in the hopes that some of his skills would rub off on me :)  I asked him how long he's been hacky sacking and he said 13 years.  I have been hacky sacking for 10 years, but there was that whole 9 months where I couldn't walk and then I had to relearn everything.  But once the weather gets nice, I'll go hacky sack in the park when I get off work again.  I'm out of practice.

3 comments:

  1. I seriously need to get a henna kit now! It looks like you made a great haul. What sort of hula hoop are you looking for? I've been oogling some LED light ones. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like to find a weighted one. Hula hooping is way more fun than doing crunches!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the monster, a great idea!

    ReplyDelete

Every time you comment, a kitten is born, and who doesn't love kittens?