Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Bloggers Aren't Perfect Either

Some bloggers post about all of the beautiful, happy, wonderful things in their lives.  Their readers might get the impression that these bloggers have ideal, perfect lives.  But I'm here to tell you that it's not true.  So here is my list of things that I am terrible at.
  • finding places I've never been before
    • This is the only reason I would want a smart phone, for the GPS. 
    • To give you an example, when I went to my gastric consult downtown a few weeks ago, I looked up the directions in advance because I know how bad I am with directions.  I figured out exactly how to get there from my bus stop and wrote down detailed instructions for myself.  The next day I got off my bus, followed my directions exactly, and ended up nowhere near the hospital.  I ended up walking at least 20 more blocks than I had to, and finally found out (after asking five people for directions and looking at two maps, none of which were helpful) that I just had to walk about ten blocks uphill from where I got off the bus and it was right there.
  • using eyeliner
    • I can count the number of times I've worn eyeliner on one hand.
    • Sometimes I see a makeup tutorial for eyeliner and feel ambitious and try to replicate it, then mess it up horribly and have to remove it all.  My eyeshadow comes off in the process and then I have to redo everything and give up on the eyeliner.

  •  writing academically
    • I always think I'm doing a good job and then I end up with a 2.2 or something low like that.
    • Whether I start writing one month in advance or the night before, I end up with the same low grade.
    • This is one of the reasons that I stopped going to the University of Washington.
  •   talking on the phone
    • before, during, and after a phone call, I feel super stressed
    • I tend to be extra awkward on the phone, even when I plan out what to say in advance.
    • I stumble over my words and interrupt myself.
  • baseball/softball
    • You might not know this, but I'm super competitive and also pretty good at most sports, but baseball and softball just do not work for me.
    • When we played them in P.E. in elementary school, they always had a rule that everyone got to bat until they hit. No striking out.  I usually swung about 30 times before barely making contact and then got tagged out before I made it to first.
  • riding buses
    • Every time I have to ride a different bus or get off at a different stop, I get really nervous. I write down my whole route and walking directions the night before, but I usually end up getting on a bus going the opposite direction of where I should be going, or get off at a stop that is way too early and end up having to walk about 20 blocks extra.
  • sewing
    • I swear that sewing machines plot against me.  If the sewing machine doesn't come unthreaded a bajillion times, then it gets all knotted around the bobbin, or my fabric gets sucked into it and then I have to take the whole machine apart to cut it out.
  • walking in heels
    • Have you ever seen a baby giraffe take its first steps?  Because it's a lot like that, only not nearly as adorable.
 So there's a bit of proof that I am not perfect.  What are some things that you are terrible at?

4 comments:

  1. You're totally right. Nobody is perfect. The world would be a boring place if we were! In fact, I'd go as far as to say those so desperate to convey the image of perfection are probably more messed up than those of us that openly admit to our flaws. Although I may be completely generalising with that statement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Juan Carlos BustillosMay 16, 2013 at 7:27 AM

    LOL! Funny Blog Post! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man I am THE WORST at phone calls. Which is not good when you're the figurehead for a four person house. The only thing more anxiety-inducing than making a phone call is the terror of having to leave a voicemail. Holy stuttering buffoon, Batman! I'm the same with buses as well, or at least I was for my first two years in the city.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think I am really terrible at many things but I am not good at many things either. I think I just fall into the category of OK at everything but not great.

    ReplyDelete

Every time you comment, a kitten is born, and who doesn't love kittens?