Thursday, November 10, 2011

How to Save a Life

I found this today and I don't know why but I really feel the need to help in some way.  This is really the only way I can help, so please read this and spread the word.  I don't know this man at all, but I do know what it's like to lose someone to cancer.  I lost my grandpa to stomach cancer when I was in 8th grade and my "aunt" (a close family friend) to cancer when I was in high school.  If I can help save people the pain of losing a loved one, I am going to do anything and everything in my power to make that possible.

If you don't want to click the link and read about it, I'll just tell you here.  The man is an acute leukemia sufferer.  That means he has cancer.  He has less than 20 days to find a bone marrow match.  For the majority of the population, there is an 80% chance of finding a match.  But since Amit Gupta is of South Asian descent, his chances drop to 1 in 20,000.  All it takes to see if a person is a match is a swab of saliva.  It is virtually painless and only takes about 10 minutes to fill out paperwork and take the swab.  You can take 10 minutes out of your day to possibly save a life, can't you? To find a swab drive in your area, click here.  And make sure you spread the word to everyone you know.  1 in 20,000 may seem like terrible odds, but with the internet and social networking, it's so easy to reach 20,000 people.  So please, don't just ignore this message.

You can help as easily as making this your Facebook status:

Don't let this man's family and friends go through the pain of losing someone to cancer. He has less than 20 days to find a match for a bone marrow transplant and, being South Asian, his chances are 1 in 20,000.
http://www.amitguptaneedsyou.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Every time you comment, a kitten is born, and who doesn't love kittens?