Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Shaving my Head for Cancer Research

You may remember that I have celiac disease.  It is an incurable disease.  It's not a death sentence, but it is making my life more difficult.  Cancer is a disease that is much much worse than celiac disease.  In some cases it is treatable, but the treatment doesn't necessarily work.  Cancer affects so many lives and not just the lives of those diagnosed with cancer, but also their friends, families, and colleagues.  Anyone can get cancer.  I have had two loved ones die of cancer, one a relative and the other a friend.  It is horrible to watch someone you love go through that when you can't do anything to help them.

In the past I have donated my hair to Locks of Love.  I have made donations on two separate occasions.  "Locks of Love is a public non-profit organization that provides hairpieces to financially disadvantaged children in the United States and Canada under age 21 suffering from long-term medical hair loss from any diagnosis"  Some of the children who receive wigs from Locks of Love have lost their hair due to radiation treatment for cancer.  My friend Katy, who I sadly lost to cancer, lost all of her hair from radiation treatments.  She had to wear a hat all of the time because she was so cold.  The radiation treatments kept the cancer under control for awhile but eventually the cancer metastasized (meaning it spread to other parts of her body).

I would like to donate my hair to Locks of Love again.  In order to donate to Locks of Love, you must have at least a 10 inch long ponytail.  Your hair may be color-treated but not bleached.  It takes 6 to 10 ponytails to make a single wig.

But here's the thing, I want to do more than donate my hair.  I don't have any extra money (my tax refund is going towards being able to pay my rent this month), since I haven't been able to work since November and haven't made any Etsy sales since December.  So I am working with what I have.  I have a blog.  My blog has a little over 200 subscribers and many of those subscribers also have blogs.  So I am asking each of you to donate just a dollar (or more if you want) ,or at least share this post on your social media networks, to the American Cancer Society.  The American Cancer Society works to help cancer patients get well, stay well, and fight back.  They also do a lot of research to find cures.  You can donate in honor or in memory of a loved one or you can just donate.  You can designate your donation to 1 of 5 different types of cancer research or where it's needed most.  The problem is that the minimum donation is $50, so here is my idea.  If you want to donate less than $50, donate it to my Paypal.  Add a note that it is for the American Cancer Society.  I will donate the money every time it reaches $50.  If you are worried that this is a scam, don't donate.  If you've been following my blog for awhile, I hope you'll realize that you can trust me, but if not I totally get it.  I just ask that you would share this post.

No matter what, I'm going to donate my hair to Locks of Love again.  If all of you manage to raise $500 or more, I will donate my hair to Locks of Love and I will also shave my head.  My hair is long.  I like my long hair.  I am a female but I can be mistaken for a male when I have short hair.  But I have a choice.  People with cancer don't have a choice.  They don't choose to have cancer.  I don't know anyone who wants to have cancer.  And anyone can get cancer.  I could get cancer.  And if I ever do, I hope that there will be a cure for it, or at least better treatments.  That is why I will shave my head if we raise $500.  Because I willingly give up my long hair for the chance to contribute to a cure for cancer.  I willingly give up my long hair in the hope that others won't have to give up theirs.


If you donate on the American Cancer Society website, let me know in a comment on this post so I can add the amount to the total.

2 comments:

  1. I made a small donation--thank you for your efforts fighting cancer!

    ReplyDelete

Every time you comment, a kitten is born, and who doesn't love kittens?