Friday, June 8, 2012

Food Friday: Oven Smores

Today I am forgoing fashion entirely and discussing food.  Don't fret though, I have a pretty cool fashion post planned for next week.  I found this recipe on Pinterest and immediately had to try it.  There are a few reasons why I had to try it: I have the biggest sweet tooth ever, CHOCOLATE, lately I've accidentally been buying lots of smore-flavored things, and lastly it looked super simple.  The recipe over there is easy to follow and I did follow it, but there are some things I would change next time.  And by that, I mean there are some things that I did change, because I already made them again.  The first time I made them was last weekend.  Get ready for gratuitous food shots of every single step.  But be warned, if you are the type of person who likes their marshmallows black on the outside, this recipe is not for you, because everything will be burnt to a crisp if you do that.  Also, G insists that they're called shmores.  I'm not sure where the sh comes from and he won't tell me (because I laughed at his pronunciation).  My guess is from the sh in marshmallow.


This step could go pretty fast if you don't have OCD. G wanted to unperfectize
it but I told him it had to be nice for pictures for my blog, so he left it alone.

Look how wonderfully toasty the marshmallows are after just under 5 minutes in the oven!

smush them together; Jersey Shore made that word so dirty
Stir the melting chocolate like your hand is a tornado!

Dip them all in chocolate and put them right on the plate because you don't have wax paper.

After two are eaten, realize that it looks like a person. Maybe you should have bought wax paper.
Look at all that wasted chocolate, which I may or not have scraped off later with a fork and eaten.

So if you are going to do the dipping in chocolate step, definitely use wax paper.  I actually skipped that step entirely the second time because when you refrigerate them for the chocolate to set up, the marshmallows get all hard and weird.  Plus you have to wait longer until you can eat them.  Both G, who has no sweet tooth, and I enjoyed these immensely.  He even asked me to make them for him again, which I happily did.  This is super duper simple and quick to do, especially if you don't dip them in chocolate at the end.  Plus your house will smell like toasted marshmallows for a while, which is always a good thing, in my opinion.  Happy eating and happy weekend.

Linking up here.

2 comments:

  1. Coolness. Great post. I loved your captions for the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy Marshmallows Batman... these look yum... I actually just drooled on my keyboard... awesome. Love Elle xo

    ReplyDelete

Every time you comment, a kitten is born, and who doesn't love kittens?