Wednesday, May 4, 2011

One Giant Step (Warning Super Serious Post)

Yesterday I made the biggest decision/realization of my entire life.  College is not for me.  College and I haven't been too close at the best of times.  I never even really desired to go to college.  It was just expected of me from the time when I taught myself to read when I was 3.  My parents have always been like, You are so smart. You will go to college and do great things.  Sorry parents.  I'm dropping out.  I don't need college to be a graphic designer.  I'm terrible at academic writing.  And every single class I've ever taken except one hasn't even been relevant to anything  about graphic design.  The only reason I'm here is that I got scholarships and I feel bad giving them up, but hey, more money for other people who actually want to go to college.  I don't want to disappoint my parents, but I can't go around my entire life doing things just because they are expected of me.  I need to be in charge of my own life, and that means that I am done with college.  Well, I'll still be living in my dorm room until I find a place to stay, since I have paid my tuition and housing for the entire quarter, but after that it's "Sayonara, University of Washington.  Hello real world and job and rent.  I plan to wait to tell my parents after I find a job and a place to live, so I can show them how responsible I am.  It just wouldn't be right to give my mom a mother's day card that says, "Happy Mother's Day, I'm pregnant and dropping out of college.  But don't worry, I'm really not pregnant."  Sort of like, I may be dropping out of college, but hey it could be worse.  Didn't you want a heart attack for Mother's Day?  Yeah, that's not going to happen.  So now I begin the hunt for a job and a place to stay.  I want to stay in Seattle.  There's a new restaurant opening on The Ave, called the Rock and Roll Grill.  Sounds like a good place and they're hiring, so I'll check that out.  I need to get some "I'm a responsible person, you can tell because I'm dressed nice" clothing to wear when meeting prospective employers.  I may only have $7 to my name, but it's 50% off for students day at Goodwill, so I could probably get a couple business-y shirts, and I already have some nice pants.  So I guess this is close to the end of this chapter of my life, and I'm about to enter the real world.  Wish me luck.  Oh, and it's May 4th, so May the fourth be with you.  Watch some Star Wars and be happy.  I'll be watching Empire Strikes back later, which is my favorite.  Farewell for now.  Hopefully I'll have good news to share soon.

2 comments:

  1. It takes some guts to go against the norm and do things your own way, so kudos for doing just that. College is an important thing and can be a really good place to learn and grow as a person, but it's not for everyone. I went through it and I don't really regret it because it's nice to have a degree in my back pocket and it helped me grow-up a lot, but it wasn't exactly necessary for what I want to do with my life.

    Anyway, I assume you've already made a pro/con list and know that you're making the best decision. I wish you the best of luck in the next chapter of your life. The real world is really not as fun as it looks, but I'm sure you'll do okay. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the awesome comment Lauren. I already had a job interview today and I hear back whether I got it or not tonight.

    ReplyDelete

Every time you comment, a kitten is born, and who doesn't love kittens?