Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Nerdery and Webcomics

I told you that I would write a post on webcomics, so here it is.  I started reading my first webcomic back in the 7th grade.  It was called 8 Bit Theater and it was a hilarious parody of the Final Fantasy games, which I have some but little experience playing.  My brother introduced me to the comic and I loved it from the first strip.  You don't even have to have any experience with the Final Fantasy games to enjoy it.

Episode 001: We’re going where?

I finished 8 Bit Theater sometime in high school.  It was one of those webcomics that actually has an ending.  After that, I discovered XKCD, which is more of a math/science/computer nerd webcomic.  I don't get all of their jokes, but the ones that I do get are hilarious.  And the hover-text is almost always as funny as the comic itself.

Every Major's Terrible

Abstruse Goose is sometimes similar to XKCD, but sometimes it is more like Cyanide and Happiness.

the_first_10000_people_to_see_this_comic_win_the_game

I love Cyanide and Happiness, which is filled with dark humor.

Cyanide and Happiness, a daily webcomic

I rarely read Buttersafe and Doghouse Diaries, but they are also both hilarious.


A Better Place
Buttersafe

Apart
Doghouse Diaries

I just discovered Feel Afraid.  It is mostly silly, with some occasional dark humor.

Crystal Meth

Subnormality is more of a social commentary that is occasionally funny.  It is also very text-heavy.  I definitely have to be  in order to want to read it, so I don't read it very often.  Unlike many of the other webcomics I read, this one kind of has a storyline.  It is sometimes about a sphinx trying to live in the city.



Those are all of the webcomics I read right now, so that's it.

6 comments:

  1. I love a good web comic. I don't know a lot of those, I will have to check them out.

    Do you ever read Romantically Apocalyptic? It's one of my favorites and I feel like you'd like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I've never heard of that one, but the title sounds like something I would love. I'll have to check it out.

      Delete
  2. XKCD and Cyanide and Happiness are brilliant. And I've now committed myself to learning that song. I can certainly relate to having trouble choosing a major lol. Nice list of web comics, good choices :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved that XKCD one you have here. Also I found the Buttersafe one hilarious - I'll have to check that out! There's few more I'm currently following and would recommend: Goblins! (one of the best-written webcomics out there imo), as well as Questionable Content, Order Of The Stick, Gaia, and Gunnerkrigg Court.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, memories! First of all, glad to see a fellow nerd. Secondly, I think you just inspired me to revisit all of these comics. I especially loved the 8 Bit Theater flash videos they started making. Those were hilarious.
    Other favorites of mine were Ctrl+Alt+Delete and, of course, Homestar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe I forgot Ctrl+Alt+Delete! I've never heard of Homestar.

      Delete

Every time you comment, a kitten is born, and who doesn't love kittens?