Saturday, September 7, 2013

Trend Jumping in Indie Business

Unless your business is all about selling the latest trendy pieces, it's probably not in your best interest to jump on every trend that comes around.  It's fine to try them here and there if you are still trying to figure out what your brand is all about, but I think the most important thing when establishing a brand is to strive to create something lasting.  Add your own touch to every piece you create and don't worry about being like everyone else.  Because having your products stand out and be unique is way better than selling a version of what everyone else is.  That's how you create your niche.

It should be obvious that I am not saying that your business should never change.  Your business should definitely change as you do.  But too much change happening all of the time can drive customers away.

For example, I run a jewelry business.  My pieces are all very unique and in a range of styles.  They all reflect my personal taste.  I have never jumped on the statement necklace trend, the ombre trend, or the neon trend.  Despite the fact that those things were all the rage and couldn't stay on shelves, I stayed true to myself and I stayed true to my brand.  Why?  I guess it's because of my motivation for making jewelry.  I make jewelry because I love to be creative and make things that I am proud of.  If I was just in it for the money, I wouldn't mind jumping on trends.  Because let's be honest, I have made under 50 sales in the two years I've had my shop, and some people have made 50+ sales in their first month.  That's not a lot of money and it's definitely not enough for me to quit my day job.  But I make jewelry because I love it and I take pride in it.  I'm not really sure where I'm going with this.  I guess I'm just trying to say that if you're trying to make a quick buck, go ahead and jump on every single trend that comes your way, but if you make things with passion and pride, forge your own path and you'll create something that lasts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Every time you comment, a kitten is born, and who doesn't love kittens?