Thursday, July 17, 2014

Easy DIY Shabby Chic Earring Holder

These earring holders are very inexpensive and quick and easy to make.  They are also very easy to customize.


I had only about a month to get ready for my first jewelry show.  One of the things I needed to do was make jewelry holders.  I wanted them to match, look shabby chic to go with the rest of my display, and (perhaps most importantly) not cost me a lot of money.  I already had lace trim and a large stash of tissue paper.  (I always save tissue paper whenever I get it on anything.  I like to reuse it for shipping orders and it also comes in handy in other situations, such as this one.)  I got my picture frames at Dollar Tree.  They sell a variety of picture frames.  They're not the sturdiest or the best for hanging pictures but they work great for making earring holders.  You can buy matching ones like I did or you can spray paint them whatever color you would like.  For another inexpensive option you can buy picture frames from thrift stores.  For the purposes of this tutorial I am going to say tissue paper, but you could use gift wrap, fabric, or any other pretty paper that you have. 

Once you have figured out what frames you want to use, take out the glass and remove the cardboard.  You don't need the glass anymore but you will use the cardboard.  Take your tissue paper and lay it over the cardboard.  Measure and mark so it will be the same size as the cardboard but with a border on each side to wrap around (I used a 1 inch border and it worked really well.)  After you have measured twice, cut the tissue paper.  Wrap it over the cardboard and attach it somehow.  I used tape but you could use staples or glue if that's what you have handy.  After that get your lace trim (you could also use ribbon or any other trim) and cut it in lengths equal to the width or length of the cardboard, depending on which way you want to hang your earrings, plus two inches extra to attach it.  Then lay the trim over the cardboard however you want it and attach the extra parts to the back using tape, staples, or glue.  If your trim is stretchy make sure you pull it tight before securing it.  As you can see from the picture above the earrings on my left frame were pretty heavy and the lace drooped because I didn't attach it tight enough.  After that just put the cardboard wrapped in tissue paper and trim back in the frame and hang your earrings.  You can stand the frame up or hang it on a wall, and you're all done.

If you make one or more of these I would love to see it!  Please leave me a link to a photo of your version of a picture frame earring holder in the comments.

Sidenote: If you want to buy a pair of earrings in the photo, let me know in the comments.  I made them all myself and they are either $15 or $20 depending on the pair.  I can sell them through Paypal or Etsy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Every time you comment, a kitten is born, and who doesn't love kittens?