Monday, October 14, 2013

Movie Reviews: Dread and Oblivion

The pictures link to the movie on IMDB.


I watched Dread on Netflix over the weekend.  I am still deciding if I liked it.  I think I did.  It's sort of a thriller that starts out very slowly and doesn't get very thrilling until about the last 30 minutes (aside from some intense flashbacks).  This movie is about college students doing a project on people's greatest fears, but then one of the students decides to make everyone face their fears and the results are horrifying.  This movie is not for young people or people who can't handle gore or squeamish people.  I think it was pretty well done and I think I liked it (although it is strange to say I liked something which left me with a bit of a disturbed and sickened feeling).  I'll give it 3 stars out of 5.


I loved Oblivion.  The scenery was breathtaking and the story was great.  When Morgan Freeman appeared I wasn't even surprised because he's in everything lately!  (even more than he was before)  Oblivion is the story of two people on a ruined Earth trying to harness energy for the rest of the population, who have left.  Things get complicated and they begin to question their orders.  It's a great sci-fi film, which kind of reminded me of Independence Day at some parts.  I highly recommend it to everyone who is a fan of post-apocalyptic settings.  I give it 4.5 stars out of 5.

3 comments:

  1. Oblivion is great but it is one of those films which is not really worth watching more than once as most of the fun is not knowing what is going to happen. And isn't it funny how pretty much the only surviving buildings are famous landmarks?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah that is true. And yes it is funny. Disasters have to leave the famous landmarks so people will still know it's Earth. I'm pretty sure it's in their contract.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I watched Dread a few years ago and I didn't really like it. I thought it was pretty slow and far too long. However, I was pretty drunk at the time so I don't reallllly remember how it ended.

    ReplyDelete

Every time you comment, a kitten is born, and who doesn't love kittens?